Tomas Clancy, Sunday Business Post: Best Wine Bar Style in Ireland
We are delighted to announce that ely is awarded 1st, 2nd & 3rd “Best Wine Bar Style in Ireland” for the second year in a row!
Sunday Business Post Gold Star Awards 2015 by Tomas Clancy
04/01/2015 edition of The Sunday Business Post
Happy New Year and welcome once again to our Annual Sunday Business Post Gold Star Awards for 2014.
The response of the food, drinks and hospitality sectors to Ireland’s economic collapse has been pride instilling over the last five years. Prices were dropped, margins cut, stock resourced, business models evaluated and an entire industry was remade while still working every day. Restaurants rediscovered the carafe in order to deliver wines at lower prices and the entire wine trade got back out into the vineyards of the world to seek out the new, the innovative, the next best price.
While this annual award celebrates the triumphs of the industry, this column never loses sight of the fact that through the previous years of withering finances, the Irish wine lover has embraced all these changes.To you, I say: sláinte.
~ Best Wine Bar Style 2015 ~
1. ely bar & brasserie, IFSC, Dublin
2. ely wine bar, Ely Place, Dublin
3. ely at Grand Canal Dock
4. Fallon & Byrne, Basement Wine Bar, Dublin
5. 64 Wines, Glasthule
6. Dunnes & Crescenzi, South Frederick Street, Dublin
7. Greenacres, Wexford
8. The French Paradox, Ballsbridge
9. The Wine Room at IFSC
10.** McHughs Wine and Dine, St Assam’s Park, D5
It’s 15 years since Erik and Michelle Robson opened the first Ely Wine Bar and, in that time, the scene has been transformed. Today, it means a place to sample an array of wines in a vast portfolio of sizes with the option of matching that wine to a variety of foods specially tailored towards the wine.
That encyclopaedic list is available in a myriad of formats. The Ely list is seasonally adjusted to match both the climate and the produce at the time. At Ely, too, the food’s terroir is as transparently offered up for delectation of the wine-loving guest as the wine itself.
~ Best Sommelier 2014 ~
1. Nisea Doddy, Saddle Room, Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin
2. Ed Jolliffe, Chapter One, Dublin
3. Colm McCann, Ballymaloe House, Cork
4. Pierre-Marie Faure, Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud, Dublin
5. Ian Brosnan, Ely Wine Bar, Dublin
6. Victor Nedelea, Restaurant Forty-One, Dublin
7. Martina Delaney, L’Ecrivan, Dublin
8. Fergus O’Halloran, The Twelve, Galway
9. Thomy Sabbe, Pearl Brasserie, Dublin
10. Nicholas Fajours, La Fougere, Mayo